We are at the beginning of a new frontier in biology and medicine unparalleled in human history. Scientific advances like the latest generation of CRISPR, new computational methods, entirely new cell and gene therapies, cell-free synthetic biology and breakthroughs we cannot even imagine today will unlock the applications and treatments of the future. At the same time, new technology/tooling is changing the biology game along a few vectors: i) cost ii) ability to program, simulate and iterate and iii) entrepreneurial accessibility.
BlueYard’s strategy around biology is based on the premise that humankind’s ability to engineer biology will not only fundamentally transform how we diagnose, treat, and manage diseases, but also reinvent how we produce new materials and the food required to support human life and sustain our planet. This includes biotechnology, therapeutics, advanced diagnostics, precision medicine and genomics, and synthetic biology, which can revolutionise the production of advanced materials and ingredients (i.e., alternative proteins, textiles, fertilizers, energy, flavors etc.).
As a generalist firm, BlueYard views the biology companies, networks and protocols we invest in as key parts of a broader fabric of systems for a more decentralized, sustainable and empowered future and we plan to continue to apply this core thesis in health, life sciences and synthetic biology (e.g. Bit.Bio, Biofidelity, Chemify, Clock.bio, Meatable, Insempra.bio, Rarebase, Zafrens etc.), but also beyond to areas such as breakthrough engineering efforts (e.g. Marvel Fusion, Seeqc, VSParticle, UTVATE, AnySignal etc), crypto protocols (e.g. Protocol Labs, Filecoin, Flashbots OpenZeppelin, Forta, Tableland) and new economic operating systems (e.g. Centrifuge, Dance, Pitch, etc.).
We are excited to continue our fellowship program, which launched last year with our first four fellows, by opening up the process to find the next cohort of aspiring entrepreneurial scientists who want to spend a few months inside a VC firm. The program is designed to be 6 to 9 months long, as a 4 to 6-hour-per-week engagement. At the core of BlueYard is the belief that venture capital is a product for entrepreneurs, and if you are inspired by working with an intellectually curious, small and value-driven team, we want to hear from you. We are looking for individuals who can stake a claim at the intersection of these multiple evolving fields in human health and biology and bring a holistic view to make sense of how nature-inspired technologies can transform the fundamental well-being and longevity of every human being on our planet.
As a visiting fellow, you will:
- Help to identify the critical computational biology and biological engineering platforms we should be thinking about as we continue to expand our strategy in the space,
- Work closely with the team in evaluating potential investment opportunities, especially helping us find the best and most entrepreneurial scientists in Europe,
- Keep building the entrepreneurial ecosystem across Europe and help bridge the gap between the lab and commercialisation.,
- Have the opportunity to be immersed in the inner workings of a venture capital firm,
- Take part in shaping the future of our fellowship program
Here’s what we’d like you to bring to the table:
- A strong understanding of and passion for life sciences (biology, chemistry, medicine, physics or similar)
- Self-(fire)starter — be able to run on your own, prioritize without much guidance
- The ability to clearly articulate thoughts and opinions about markets, companies and technology, both in written and spoken form
- Strong interpersonal skills — happy to work extensively within the team and with entrepreneurs
- Native (or close to) English language skills both written and oral
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves
If you are interested in the position please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org