We are living in a time where humanity seems to be approaching a fork in the road at an ever accelerating pace: One path leads to a tangible potential for prosperity and peace for all based on technological progress, increasingly liberal and open societies engaged in free global trade with less incentives for violence and war, and deploying technology to master our largest planetary challenges; another path leads to eventual self destruction based on the unravelling of lighthouse democracies, irrevocable harm to our planet, the collapse of civil dialogue, eroding national and global institutions, ever increasing economic inequality and world-destroying technologies widely proliferated amongst despots and their like.
It is within this context that we have developed a strong conviction around how entrepreneurs are using technology — and in particular crypto — to improve our societies through the decentralization of markets and the empowerment of humanity. We have the chance to liberate the internet from its monopolistic gatekeepers by creating a more decentralized web; we can use technology to empower the individual at a time when institutions and nation states are losing their ability to provide societies with what they need; we can use new crypto technologies to make key infrastructure resilient, to make data immutable and empower people take control over their digital sovereignty. Read more about BlueYard’s crypto approach here , but here are some areas our team focused mainly on:
- Web 3 as the logical evolution of open source software, enabling everything that should be open source software to become open source software (via protocols orchestrated with a token)
- DeFi as technology acquiring a native finance layer, and in turn, finance acquiring a native technology layer. We are less excited about chasing the latest yield farming or arbitrage opportunity — and will be more focused on novel financial products, networks and broader access to the promise and opportunities of crypto
- New economic and cultural life forms changing old markets and creating new ones — e.g. DAOs and NFTs vs legal entities, institutions and contracts
- Key support and scaling infrastructure relevant to the growth and success of the entire space including applications that help reduce barriers to entry and tooling for engineers
We are excited to be expanding the BlueYard team with a dedicated Crypto Research Analyst position. This is designed to be a two-year role based in the US (but remote first, so where you are in the US does not matter — office is in New York), supporting the team in backing entrepreneurs that are decentralizing markets and empowering humanity using crypto. At the core of BlueYard is the belief that venture capital is a product for entrepreneurs (and networks / protocols…), and if you are inspired by working with an intellectually curious, small and value-driven team, we want to hear from you.
The Research Analyst role includes:
- Being at the forefront of what is happening in crypto — be it doing research on L2 scaling solutions, the potential evolution of MEV, the future of PoW vs PoS L1s, novel governance mechanisms, protocol upgrade proposals, etc — you are an avid student of these (and more topics) and intellectual curiosity is one of your key trademarks
- Working with our founders and networks / protocols on crypto economics, governance design, network allocations, etc
- Whereas this is not an investment role, you should be able to translate your research in to insights and consumable knowledge for the broader investment team and our portfolio companies / networks
- Publishing key research
Here’s what we’d like you to bring to the table:
- A strong understanding of key technological, economic and governance aspects of crypto — in great detail down to protocol design and beyond
- Self-(fire)starter — be able to run on your own, prioritize without much guidance
- The ability to clearly articulate thoughts and opinions about markets, companies and networks / protocols, both in written and spoken form
- Strong interpersonal skills — happy to work extensively within the team and with entrepreneurs
- Native (or close to) English language skills both written and oral
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves
There is no ideal background for this role and a formal degree is not required. We however think that the role will be most suitable for folks with a few years of work experience and with a track record of working in crypto.
If you are interested in the position please send the following to email@example.com:
- Your CV
- If applicable, a collection of links that best characterize your online presence