BlueYard: Join Our Team as a Life Sciences-focused Principal
We are at the beginning of a new frontier in biology and medicine unparalleled in human history. Scientific advances like the latest generation of CRISPR, new computational methods, entirely new cell and gene therapies, cell-free synthetic biology and breakthroughs we cannot even imagine today will unlock the applications and treatments of the future. Moreover, as the precision of molecular interventions and cell delivery systems improve, and manufacturing infrastructure matures, these technologies will have a positive impact on millions of people around the world.
At the same time new technology / tooling is changing the biology game along a few vectors: i) cost ii) ability to program, simulate and iterate and iii) entrepreneurial accessibility. BlueYard’s strategy around biology is based on the premise that humankind’s ability to engineer biology will not only fundamentally transform how we diagnose, treat, and manage disease, but also reinvent how we produce new materials and the food required to support human life and sustain our planet. This includes biotechnology, therapeutics, advanced diagnostics, precision medicine and genomics, as well as synthetic biology, which has the ability to revolutionise the production of advanced materials and ingredients (i.e., alternative proteins, textiles, fertilizers, energy, flavors etc.).
We are looking for individuals who can stake a claim at the intersection of these multiple evolving fields in human health and biology and bring a holistic view to make sense of how nature inspired technologies can transform the fundamental well-being and longevity of every human being on our planet.
As a generalist firm, BlueYard views the biology companies, networks and protocols we invest in as key parts of a broader fabric of systems for a more decentralized, sustainable and empowered future and we plan to continue to apply this core thesis in health, life sciences and synthetic biology (e.g. Bit.Bio, Biofidelity, Humm, Meatable, Origin.bio, Rarebase), but also beyond to areas such as breakthrough engineering efforts (e.g. Marvel Fusion, Seeqc), crypto protocols (e.g. Protocol Labs, Filecoin, Radicle, OpenZeppelin) and new economic operating systems (e.g. Centrifuge, Dance, Pitch, etc.). Anyone joining team BlueYard should be excited about the prospect of connecting the dots and learning about new fields, some of which might be out of your comfort zone.
We are excited to be expanding the BlueYard team with a Principal position, either remote or based in Berlin, supporting the team in finding and backing entrepreneurs that are decentralizing markets and empowering humanity. At the core of BlueYard is the belief that venture capital is a product for entrepreneurs, and if you are inspired by working with an intellectually curious, small and value-driven team, we want to hear from you.
The Principal role includes:
- Leading investments in synthetic biology, health and life sciences
- Sourcing new opportunities mainly across Europe and the US
- Working directly with the two General Partners, embedded in a small team, allowing for a steep learning curve and significant exposure to the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Helping develop our brand and portfolio / founder services for biology and life sciences
- Identifying technologies and trends that will positively impact economies and societies and represent attractive venture investment opportunities
- Carrying out market and company due diligence on investment opportunities
- Working with our portfolio companies to support them
- Helping with our community management and events
- Supporting with fund reporting and analyses
Here’s what we’d like you to bring to the table:
- A strong understanding of and passion for life sciences (biology, medicine, or similar).
- Several years in a biology / life science investing role or equivalent business / corporate development experience
- Self-(fire)starter — be able to run on your own, identify opportunities and prioritise without much guidance
- The ability to clearly articulate thoughts and opinions about markets and companies, both in written and spoken form
- Strong interpersonal skills — happy to work extensively within the team and with entrepreneurs
- Ability to carry out market and financial analyses
- Native (or close to) English language skills both written and oral
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves
If you are interested in the position please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your CV
- If applicable, a collection of links that best characterize your online presence
Our process will then be as follows:
- After initial screening we will invite selected candidates for a video interview
- We will then invite a limited group of candidates for personal interview with both the team and our entrepreneurs in Berlin (or remote as appropriate for health safety)
- A decision will be made shortly thereafter