BlueYard is hiring an Associate focusing on Breakthrough Engineering
We live in a time where the boundary between science fiction and reality is rapidly blurring. Scientists have used high-power lasers to reproduce the sun’s power on Earth, satellites launched by reusable rockets have made high-speed internet ubiquitous and affordable, and new computer architectures have accelerated super-human AI capabilities and understanding. These exponential technologies will transform the fabric of our markets and societies.
We are also witnessing the increasing convergence of technologies at the intersection of science and engineering that are enabling breakthrough opportunities — physics, material science, AI and next-generation computing, nanotechnology, and more are being combined in unprecedented ways to leverage nature’s design principles and manufacturing capabilities at the atomic level to open entirely new economic lanes of growth — and more critically address the most outsized challenges of our time in climate breakdown, rapidly diminishing finite resources, democratic resilience, and human health.
We’re searching for an individual who can navigate the intersection of these rapidly evolving fields. Their mission would be to offer a comprehensive understanding of how technology can better the health and lifespan of people and positively impact our planet.
We are excited to expand the BlueYard team with a new Associate position — this role is remote but requires frequent travel. At the core of BlueYard is the belief that venture capital is a product for entrepreneurs, and if you are inspired by working with an intellectually curious, small, and value-driven team, we want to hear from you.
The role includes:
- Working directly with our General Partners as part of the investment team, allowing for a steep learning curve and significant exposure to the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Identifying technologies and trends that will positively impact economies and societies and represent attractive venture investment opportunities
- Carrying out market and company due diligence on investment opportunities
- Working with our portfolio companies to support them
- Helping with our community management and events
- Supporting with fund reporting and analyses
Here’s what we’d like you to bring to the table:
- A strong understanding of and passion for science or engineering and the ability to have a universal view of new technologies and their commercialization
- Self-(fire)starters — be able to run on your own, identify opportunities, and prioritize without much guidance
- The ability to clearly articulate thoughts and opinions about markets and companies, both in written and spoken form
- Strong interpersonal skills — happy to work extensively within the team and with entrepreneurs
- Ability to carry out market and financial analyses
- Native (or close to) English language skills, both written and oral
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves
There is no ideal background for this role, and a formal degree is optional. We, however, think that the role will be most suitable for folks with an engineering degree, a couple years of work experience, and with a track record of working in science or engineering.
If you are interested in the position, please send the following to email@example.com:
- Your CV
- If applicable, a collection of links that best characterize your online presence
Our process will then be as follows:
- After the initial screening, we will invite selected candidates for a video interview
- We will then invite a limited group of candidates for in-person interviews with both the team and our entrepreneurs
- A decision will be made shortly thereafter